Just my thoughts. I'm sure you have your own.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

FAWM Day 3

8:10 AM

Settled into work. What an interesting morning I've had.

First of all, coming off of posting my first song last night, I sighed a breath of relief. Getting that first song is always the hardest--just like getting past the first checkpoint on a long journey. I can settle just a little, but not too much if I plan on getting 14 songs out. I've got a very complicated February with a lot of things to take my time--unfortunately, things of greater priority than FAWM. Just a challenge to overcome, I guess.

But anyways, that has nothing to do with this morning...

I got up and just took my time waking up, as I do every morning. It takes about an hour before I officially wake up and can properly use my brain to do anything worthwhile. So no song writing this morning--and doubtful for most of the mornings in February. Still, I got ready and out the door a little early so I could take my time to work.

On the way out of my driveway, I decided to do something I LITERALLY have not done in years--listen to music on the radio. Generally, my trips to work fall 50/50 in either of these categories: Listening to public radio or listening to CDs. With a few brief exceptions, I haven't listened to the radio's music in years. I know that seems unlikely and hard to comprehend, but it's so true.

So anyways, the first song on the radio (70s - 90s station) was 'The Boys are Back in Town', one of my personal favorite songs from that era. Unfortunately, it was the last 30% of the song or so, but still a great start. I listened to that station for awhile, which both inspired a song idea and reminded me why I don't listen to the radio all that much (i.e. the freakin commercials!)

Anywho, I was surprised to find out how many stations there actually are now. Before, you could only pick up about 10 stations in my town, half of them country, 3 more crap, and 2 decent ones, an alternative rock and the aforementioned oldies. I picked up a spanish rock station, about 70 christian rock stations (to be mentioned in my song), and at least 10 more talk radio stations. Needless to say, even though I kept the radio on all the way to work, I probably only heard about 7 or 8 songs in a 70-minute drive. That's pretty sad, if you think about it.

Well, I'm at work, need to get to work...

No comments: