Just my thoughts. I'm sure you have your own.

Monday, September 28, 2009

History Never Lies about Network Servers

Friday, just before leaving work, there was a notification sent to all concerning our data entry application--there would be some server update work taking place on Monday (today) from 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM, well before anyone got to work--so that it would all be done and ready to go for the workers when they get in.

Now, from working in IT before, including a position where I was responible for monitoring (note--not integrating or applying) the updates. 10 out of 10 times, even though the updates would "take place during the night", nothing worked the next day. Oftentimes, it wouldn't be right until about 2 hours after everyone had got to work.

So, from my previous work experience, I took this notification to mean that there would be some downtime today. However, this was argued against by many over the fact that "I used to work for a rinky-dinky Credit Union--this is a State job, including a server for the entire State."

Well, it's 8:30 AM and the server's still down. Point for me?

(EDIT: 9:50 and no server. We're getting close to meeting the '2 hours' target average from the last job. Are we going for a new record? I seem to recall us being down for some 5 hours on one occasion.)

(EDIT 2: 10:35 and we're back up. 2.5 hours is by no means a record, but certainly a contender based off of the average I'm used to.)

No comments: